Reach me:       Facebook       |       LinkedIn       |       Lowergentry       |       Quora       |       Twitter            

Monday, March 10, 2014

Some Thoughts on Writing: Practicing It and Recognizing the Tricky Balance Between Being Idealistic and Realistic in Non-Fiction Storytelling


[Journal entry 2/23/14]

I want to practice writing more. I don't know if I'll do it in this journal or a notebook, but I'll likely start by asking a question and then practice writing by answering it. One of my goals will be brevity- to select key points and apply just the right amount of explanation; another goal will be structure- knowing more quickly how I want to present something so that I can narrow in on key points. Another general goal I have is to try to maintain a sort of experiential truth to my writing. We all know how the way you write about an event you experienced can make it seem more fun or dramatic than it was in your experience.

It's tricky though, because part of the joy of reading and the skill in writing is to be able to present things with a certain ideal or value in mind- in a sense so as to train oneself by the reading of it to then see the world more in that manner. But I wonder if even this way of handling writing can be done in better and poorer ways- not by degree of affect but by a certain sort of honesty in presentation. I already mentioned how events can be recalled in a way that might have a desired effect, yet fail to maintain a sort of honesty. It's one thing to recall the highlights of an event, but another to present the mundane things in a non-mundane manner- one is selective, the other almost deceptive.

One way of addressing this latter concern could be to present the mundane as it is, but to add commentary to it in a way that makes it clear that the desired effect is distinct from the event; this might involve including the author's voice, but doesn't have to. For example, this following example could be a way of focusing on the highlights of an event without being deceptive concerning the mundane:  "the line was long, and it gave me a sense of how busy and crowded it would soon be in the building. The long wait was soon forgotten in the excitement of seeing the admired comedian take the stage."

I'll leave myself to explore more later, but some routine quick writing practices should prove beneficial. Part of my interest in this is because I was filling out a resume cover letter yesterday and noticed that I wasn't as readily able to select the key points I wanted, and to decide how to present them, as I'd like to be.

1 comment:

Brian said...

Reading this makes me think of the differences between West and East. They are two worlds, diverging cultures, and yet, as you write about how to express yourself with the written word, I am pulled back to this noticeable dichotomy between two arcs of culture.

Western thinkers can often be categorized as forward thinkers. If I were to give them a symbol, I would make it an arrow. Western thought, philosophy, economics, family life, medicine, psychology, they all try to move forward. They are not always linear, but they are always trying to move from point a to point b.

Eastern culture is not fixated on the future or what will be. It seeks to stay with what is and make it more profound. If I could give it an image, it would be a spiraling well reaching deeper and deeper...to where? That does not matter, because if we say where it is going, then we have made it a straight and narrow path. Nevertheless, it is going somewhere, and eastern culture is content to allow the final end to show itself, rather than force it to open its way to us so that we can plunge headlong into it.

So the reason why your thoughts on writing made me think of this is for two reasons: writing is culture bound, whether personal or social; and, you speak of brevity and realism in a western way.

If that is your mode of thinking and desired way of writing, then aim for it. But I did feel a strong pull in your description to qualitatively value brief writing that stays as true to reality as possible.

For what reason should one stay as near to reality as possible? Writing is an expression of thoughts, dreams, feelings, and culture. As human beings, we know we have a sad and sorrowful existence. Writing is one of those ways that we can transform our difficult existence into something beautiful. We can ennoble it. Those who are grounded in the reality of who they are will be able pick up on your beautification and transformation of content, and not feel deceived. Those who become deceived by the alteration of reality taking place in the written word are not likely to be grounded in the reality of who and what they are, or in the world around them. If one is not grounded, then I am not sure they would be able to appreciate the message that even a direct and realistic description may convey.

But then again, these are my thoughts and I could always be wrong. Personally, I like both forms of writing, but love writing that is elusive and vague.